Sunday, July 25, 2010

It's On To Vegas...The 2011 Fashion Trade Shows, MAGIC and More

A few words of wisdom to my fashion buyer:

The Las Vegas fashion trade shows are daunting to say the least.  There's MAGIC (no magicians,) POOL (no pool,) PROJECT (no construction workers,) ISAM (NOT "Sam I am,") CURVE (no windy road,) SLATE (no rock quarry) and I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few more spin-off shows. This is some serious sourcing.  Pack your gym shoes, bring practical clothes and don't forget your wallet...Las Vegas isn't a cheap town by any means. Seriously, a buyer should consider doing some long distance training before going, because honey, you're going to walk miles and miles and miles.  This is a marathon show!  Then there are marathon parties too...which I advise you to go early, leave early...you're going to need your strength and wits about you for that 9AM appointment.  For a fashion buyer, this is probably a group of the most important shows that you can attend, so be smart about it.  I only say this because I've seen good sourcers bite the dust many, MANY times in LV and it isn't pretty when they get back home, so be forewarned.
 
:::sigh:::

OK, I've made my point and now you know why I am not going this year.  I'm sending you, one of our savviest girls, to hunt for a few needed items for the catalog.  I know that you'll do great.  You can battle the crowds, swelter in the heat, and nurse the hangover.  You're only there for a day...in and out.  How much damage can be done? 

"Parties?"  NO 
"Gambling Expense Account?" NO 
"VIP Club?"  NO 
"A Headlining Show?"  NO
"Dinner at Le Cirque?" NO 
"Well, Can I have a new bikini for the trip?"  NO 
Just come back with some killer stuff and in one piece.

MAGIC is serious business.

~ C.

No comments:

Post a Comment